Wednesday, September 14, 2016
Wednesday, September 7, 2016
Now what to put inside the drawers? You could put small sweets or mini gifts such as erasers, pencil toppers etc I decided to make some miniature books. I used my Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland and Classic Pooh stamps, to decorate both sides of the miniature accordian books.
We look forward to seeing all of your creations for this months challenge.
Thursday, September 1, 2016
DOTS TO LINES. Congrats!
Please contact our Guest Designer Coordinator Jannet - (gillslap AT yahoo.co.uk.) for your badge and information on being our next Guest Designer!
I hope you will come play along!
Wednesday, August 31, 2016
Today we welcome our amazingly talented Guest Designer Sara Emily from Saras's Closet.
For my leafy background panel, I started with a card stock scrap cut to size for a card.I applied Spiced Marmalade Distress ink to the raised side of Tim Holtz embossing folder and embossed the card.. I cut another piece of scrap using Tim's Tattered Leaves die and used the cut leaves as a mask.I stamped with a Tim Holtz script stamp in sepia Archival ink, then blended with Fossilized Amber Distress ink.Leaving the masks in place, I placed Tim's Flourish stencil over the left side of the card and applied Ranger Transparent Matte Paste. I sprinkled on clear micro beads and Clear Rock Candy Distress glitter while the paste was still wet. I removed the stencil and washed it immediately. When the panel was dry, I repeated the same process to the right side.
Removing the masks, I painted the leaves with a water pen and Distress crayons in Peeled Paint, Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade, Vintage Photo, and Rusty Hinge. I just got Pumpkin Spice Distress ink after this step, so I applied some randomly to the background with a water pen. When the card was completely dry, I replaced the masks and blended with Vintage Photo ink and lightly wiped off the stenciled areas with a damp cloth. I dribbled some water for some aging, and dried. I splashed on coordinating inks and applied Distress Crazing randomly. It's a mixed media mess at this point but most of it will be covered up, so no worries.
If you would like to see how I made my embellishments and wood grain backing panel, I welcome you to pop over to my blog, sarascloset.
I would like to thank Jannet and the rest of the talented Design Team for allowing me to craft along side them today! It has been such a pleasure working with you!
Wednesday, August 17, 2016
I have a quick tutorial on how I made my 'Fruits Of Our Labours' mixed media canvas, hope you will enjoy it.
I started out with a 5" x 7" flat artists canvas and added die cut letters to spell out my words. I have A LOT of die cut letters from previous projects that I
The wide serif letters are from Tim Holtz's Boardwalk die and the narrow sans serif letters are from his Alphanumeric dies. I gave the whole canvas a coat of gesso and let it dry.
Sprays and drips with Distress spray stain in shades of yellow and orange came next along with some spritzes of water to blend the colours.
After the stain had dried, I sealed the whole canvas with Distress Matte collage medium and then intensified the colours by scribbling with Distress crayons and blending with my fingers. I added some shading to the lettering with shades of brown Distress crayons and then gave each letter a dusting of Perfect Pearls. The edges of the canvas were also shaded with brown Distress crayons.
Stamping came next, I used a variety of script and mixed media stamps from my stash and stamped them onto the canvas with Black Soot Distress Archival ink.
I still felt I needed some interest on my background so spattered the canvas with white and then black thinned acrylic paint, masking off the lettering before doing so. Here's a close up picture of the spattered and stamped background.
I then fussy cut some vintage peach and apple images from my stash (courtesy of Magic Moonlit Studio) and adhered some of them to the background. I sealed the background images with Distress Matte collage medium and then used a Black Soot Distress marker to add some shading.
The two foreground images were mounted onto black fun foam and adhered over top to add a bit more dimension to my canvas.
I love the addition of the Perfect Pearls to the lettering, I must remember to use it more often!
Hope you have enjoyed my quick little tutorial, this is a great way to make use of those
I also hope it has inspired you to join in our August challenge, I can't wait to see what you create.
Thanks again for stopping by today and happy creating!
Wednesday, August 10, 2016
Wednesday, August 3, 2016
Do you have a folder of backgrounds which you have created but haven't used? I know I do so I pulled one of them out to use as my base for this picture.
I firmly taped my elephant stencil down with some masking tape. I swept some texture paste over the stencil with a palette knife, I wanted to give the elephant a cracked rough elephant type skin so I used a sponge (an inexpensive make up sponge) and pressed it into the paste and then quickly lifted it up. I have never used crackle paint, but you could probably create the same appearance with that.
When the paste was completely dry. I put the stencil back over the paste and carefully stuck it down. I used Rangers Cool Graphite dye ink to colour the elephant. I really should give him a name.... I think I will call him Bernie. I dabbed a sponge into the ink and dabbed it all over until Bernie was a glorious grey colour.
Now Bernie is often hungry so I quickly painted him a few apples, and coated them in glossy accents. When nice and dry I cut them all out.
I stamped a bird on a little piece of card and cut it out and sat him on Bernie's back. I added few green stamped branches and leaves, and glued the apples amongst them.Now Bernie is ready to have a feast!
Please join in the fun and add your project to this months Mixed Media Mojo